Heroes


For whatever reason in my quietness this past week, I have thought about our 2 sons a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I think about them daily, but last week they just seemed to be on my mind and heart. Like any parent, I enjoy telling stories about our kids, like the time Matthew drove the car into the den, or Andrew and I trying to camp at the lake during a lake wind advisory. There is also this major disease that Matt & Drew have which effects their ability to maintain car keys…(my sister Kim has the same disease).

But I can not forget the look on Matt’s face when his bride Brittany came to him at the altar, and to see how she has partnered with him in ministry, or the look in Andrews’ eyes as he shares how God has spoken to him while studying a John Maxwell series…that’s almost the same look that he gives when he says “Erin”.

To be quite serious I am amazed how God has grown our two sons into Men that seem to be fearless in their pursuit to follow the Messiah. This passion and pursuit has impacted the ones that they love, as well as the ones that have been loved by them. By no means are they perfect, but they simply are a joy & blessing to be with. I often worried as a young dad, was I doing the “right” things, and even now I find my self thinking “is there something that I could be missing?”

I wondered was I too hard on them when it was time to spank them. Yep I said spank. That was an activity that was not any fun for us or them, and I realize that many disagree with the method, and do not spank, but as a famous TV Dr. said “how’s that working out for you?” At the Lyda house it was used as one of many tools to grow men. Prayer and Love are the other tools. I don’t know a lot of things, but I am glad that the tables have turned, and I now get be the one that is daily, and weekly learning from some men that pursue Christ, that not too many years ago I was driving them to baseball.
Matt & Drew… my heroes

Gather, Grow, & Go
Pastor Tim