Holy Discontent

Its great being back home, in the USA, in the greatest town in the world. Lyman. Now having a week of allowing my mind to process what Lynn and I experienced in Scotland, I would like to share some thoughts with you.

The Scots are some of the most wonderful people that I have met. They are people that I loved sharing life with. They are also a people that need Christ. In terms of hearing the gospel, they are not part of the 10/40 window (see definition at bottom), but a people that live in a country where some of the most important events took place in terms of the expansion of Christianity throughout the world, but less than 5% of the population have a personal relationship with Christ.

Why?
In general the church has become irrelevant. Just like the States, the church has focused on gardens, choir robes, stained glass, and not people. The result is you have a people group that lives in a country where the gospel is in print, access to it is possible, but people are lost and are just doing time. Their degree of lostness carries the same weight as the 10/40 window.

Holy Discontent Definition
Being so broken hearted about something, which causes you to do something to make a difference. Discontent without “Holy” means you turn and walk away, or you get it out of your eye.

Ever been discontent with family? Did you resolve that this is just the way it is, or did you seek to make a difference in your own family? Have you ever been discontent with church? In my past, I have been part of “big” church and church government, and that prepared me more to be a Senator than a Christ Follower. It brought me to a place that a decision HAD to be made. Get it out of my eye, or go and make a difference. Getting me to the place of my Holy Discontent was painful and I lost friends & community along the way. But had it not been for those experiences, I would be just “doing time”.

I told Jeff Hickman a few days ago that LifeSong for me is what it looks like when a group of people say “No More”. No more going on mission trips, but living a missional life. No more superficial relationships with people, but living in each others lives through Life Groups. No more of doing the things that the church has always done (internally focused programs) and call it outreach or evangelism. I want my church, my family, to get close to the “hurt and pain” of this world and engage in kingdom work. That my friend, is true Contentment. We will be most content, when we are giving or lives away.

I have a burden in my heart for the Scots and I am in prayer for them. I will continue to listen and pray for any opportunity that the Lord may present to me and LifeSong to make a difference in the land of Wallace.

John 10:16
I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
Jesus

Gather, Grow, & Go
Pastor Tim

The 10/40 window is simply a term used to describe a region of the world within 10 and 40 degrees latitude from Western Africa to Eastern Asia. If you were to draw it on a map, the top would go from Portugal through Japan and the bottom would go from Guinea through the bottom tip of India all the way to the Philippines. Most of the people who have not had an opportunity to hear the gospel, live here. The 31 least reached countries in the world are in this "window."