Best Friend



What is a best friend? What does it mean? Does it ever make you feel like you are missing something when you here someone talk about a best friend, or when you see two people “hanging out” together? Some people seem to have 100’s of “best” friends. How can that be? Well I’m no different that any other person and have some opinions on the matter.

Webster says:
a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile.

What ever. I don’t consider someone who is not being hostile toward me, a friend.

God says:
Proverbs 18:24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Proverbs 27:6
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Luke 5:20
When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven

What do we need to understand from this? A friend is someone who will remove their mask and allow you to see the good and bad of their life. The second part is “Best Friend” has the “want to” and the ability to forgive. “Best friend” means that I want to see more great things to come to that friend, than comes my way. Being friendless or “Best” friendless is a choice.

Maggie our border collie is a great friend. She senses when I’m down, when I am happy, and she expresses her love for me with a massive flexing of her body that I call the Maggie Wiggle. One time when returning from a trip she was so happy to see me, she peed on her self. Now I am not suggesting that … well you get the visual, all I am saying is as a person close to me said, “ In order to have a friend, you must first be a friend”. The next time you look around and wonder where the friends are, remember that we have to be intentional just like Maggie. We are the ones that are to go, and not wait for someone to speak or call. WE are the ones that must walk across the room.

Tomorrow I will travel to Edinburgh with my best friend. She has been my best friend for 25 years, and has put up with a lot of Crazy from my life. She has forgiven and been forgiven, she chooses to give, over receiving. She still loves me when I remove the mask.

Lynn, thank you for your love and best freindshipness.

Gather, Grow, & Go
Pastor Tim