A Called Man

Sixteenth Century Theologian Martin Luther listed 8 qualities that a minister must have:


1. Able to teach systematically


2. Eloquence


3. A good voice


4. A good memory


5. Knows how to make a end


6. Sure of his doctrine


7. Willing to lose body, blood, wealth, and honor in the work


8. Willing to be mocked and jeered by everyone


I don't know about you but that list has a lot of meat on it. I have strengths and weaknesses in all 8 areas.


But how do you discern a call?


When people ask me how do I know that I am called, I explain that I had a burden that was married to a vision. I have read several book over the past few months and many related to my call to plant a church. One particular has pricked my heart and mind titled "Church Planter" by Darrin Patrick. He purposes that there are 3 confirmations when discerning the call. Heart, Head, and Skill.


In this post lets review the Heart Call.


Nehemiah cried because the city and people were in ruins in Nehemiah 1:4


"As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before God of heaven"


He had no choice but to follow and answer the call to serve. His heart was taken. This was a event that I can witness to, when I was called into ministry, while serving at Crossroads Baptist church, and then again when I was called to serve at LifeSong Church. In both cases it was clear, that this thing I Must do!


Now my call to plant a New England church was even more of a Nehemiah experience, as the call brought me to tears, and still does today, as I see the people that need Jesus there. Spurgeon refers to it as "an intense, all-absorbing desire for the work" One of my leadership coaches Jarvis Cooper stated it to me this way: "What makes your baby jump?" Over time the sense or the kick gets stronger, not weaker with time. That is HEART call.


Love God, Love People


Pastor Tim